5 Fashion Trends for Winter 2020
Despite the recent lockdowns and curb on the amount we have been able to showcase our wardrobes, the winter season calls for a renewal of statement pieces and an upgrade to some seasonal closet gems which are bound to lift spirits in the upcoming weeks. The trends will certainly be translated from catwalk to daily wear in a different manner this year, given that extravagant winter parties and festivities will be more subdued. However, there is still much cause for celebration as the emerging trends are more versatile than ever and hold great scope for a touch of head-turning personal flair.
- Leathers: Adopt a smooth and supple coat, cloak or belted leather jacket to your daily attire and watch as your look elevates to one of power, intensity and sophistication. Whether you opt for a slouchier, more nonchalant fit as seen at Balenciaga or Alberta Ferretti or go for the architectural and structured look seen at Fendi. Your classic winter jumpers anjeans will be given a new lease of life when placed under a statement leather piece.
- Puffers: A puffer is not only a practical staple for keeping cosy, but a versatile piece with novel details and surprising character when given a touch of colour and texture. Be adventurous and look for pieces in pop-art hues (as shown at Versace), those with unique details (belts, zips, patterns) and playful prints (seen at Prada). The humble puffer jacket will thus become a winter essential and add some liveliness to the traditional neutral winter palette.
- Velvet: Inspired by the catwalks of Valentino and Chanel, be sure to invest in a velvet formal Blazer, flirtatious strappy dress, sleek jumper or even leg-sculpting trousers. Wherever you chose to place your velvet, be prepared for your look to be one of luxuriousness and opulence. This season, you can choose to wear sumptuous velvet in a cultivated and romantic manner – depending on your accessories – or amp up your rock-star – vampish glam to lend some spirit to your style!
- Red: This winter, balance your inner feistiness and mature allure through dressing up red in all its various forms (but always more daring than just a traditional Christmas touch): do it with sequins, silk or cashmere, but ensure you season with lots of attitude to match your fiery aesthetic. Look no further than Valentino and Rodarte for inspiration of how to pull off pillar-box red and bold dressing, always keeping in mind that bright colours will make winter fun!
- Bodycon: This season, designers have blended shape-enhancing, feminine bodycon shapes with grown-up, demure fabrics to create a new variation on winter chic. Keep your bodycon dress a more neutral tone to avoid colour overcrowding and style with chunky jackets for masculine contrast. Alternatively, go for an eye-catching monogram piece – look no further than Balenciaga – and combine it with a figure-hugging sweater to accentuate your girlish side.