Hiring a Personal Assistant & How It Can Benefit You & Your Family
There is no doubt that we are all so much busier than we used to be and we expect to be able to achieve so much more in a day.
If you are a business owner, either running your business from home or a larger operation externally, you will know how important it is to respond quickly and efficiently to customers and be well organised and professional – but you can’t be everywhere at once! In the same way, you may be a busy family/household with complex diaries and schedules and need to be well organised and on the ball in order to stay on top of the day!
Enter the Personal/Executive Assistant!
Time management is such a huge component of our everyday lives and finding the right help in the form of a professional Personal Assistant can literally be ‘life-changing’!
Imagine being able to delegate to your PA all those tasks that never quite seem to get done; imagine your diary up to date and well managed; imagine not forgetting important calls/meetings/events and above all imagine being able to concentrate your time on the things that really matter to you.
There are so many different ways in which a PA can make a huge difference to your life. A good PA will make a positive contribution and have a direct impact on your business, personal and family life.
Definition of a Personal Assistant:
A PA is someone who works directly with you on a day to day basis, managing professional/business or personal tasks. A PA will be competent in a vast array of skills that will suit an employer’s particular requirements. A professional PA will be a person of integrity (able to keep confidential information, confidential) and will be competent and flexible in dealing with the changing demands of the role.
It would be virtually impossible to list everything that a PA might be expected/asked to accomplish as each role is of course so unique. There are however a number of tasks that most PA’s will typically be involved in:
Example of Tasks in a Business/Office Setting (this could be an office at the employer’s home):
- Diary/Administration Management: answering the phone, taking messages, co-ordinating the diary/scheduling appointments, preparing reports, updating spreadsheets, managing budgets and bookkeeping, maintaining websites and managing/booking travel arrangements, liaising with clients/guests for lunch/dinner meetings, minutes of meetings and preparing meeting documents
- Client Liaison/People Management: nurturing and maintaining positive relationships with clients and people within the company on behalf of the boss. A skilled PA will be capable of emulating the style, philosophy and persona of the company/boss
- Research/Larger Projects: examples of this could be running a conference/training workshop, booking venues & speakers, arranging catering, flowers, guest lists
- Personal Matters: collecting dry cleaning, post, gift purchases, booking tickets & other similar errands
Example of Tasks in a Personal Setting (this could just be the employer or employer plus family)
- Household Management: dealing with other staff within the household and visitors such as security, child carers, cleaners, gardeners, dog walkers, contractors/decorators
- Scheduling Events:helping plan & book family celebrations/events
- Diary Management: manage and maintain the family calendar regarding appointments, holidays and travel
- Arranging Travel and Entertainment: booking flights, hotels, restaurants, theatre tickets and so on
- General Errands /Driving: any number of tasks!
Each PA role will be different and customised to suit the employer’s requirements, but whatever the focus of the role, it is evident that there are huge benefits to hiring a PA and not just to make life run more smoothly.
Consider also that an effective and trusted PA can optimise your ability to focus on your business objectives, allowing you to grow your business whilst they skilfully manage the everyday demands of an office.
An effective PA can also facilitate and help maximise the amount of time you get to spend with your family and not forgetting there may additionally be more opportunities to develop your own skills, interests and hobbies.
For lots more good advice and information regarding your first steps to hiring a Personal Assistant (or any other Household Staff), please call the Eden Team on 0207 4716000.