Hiring a Personal Assistant (PA
Running your own business and/or organising a busy family and simply not having enough hours in the day to achieve everything can be pretty frustrating!
Time management is such a huge component of our everyday lives that finding much needed help, such as a Personal Assistant, could literally be ‘life-changing’!
There are a huge variety of different areas where a PA could make a massively positive contribution to your business life, office, personal and family life as well. And here’s how…
What is the Definition of a Personal Assistant?
A Personal Assistant is someone who works directly with you on a day to day basis, managing all your professional/business or personal tasks. A PA will be competent in a vast array of skills that will suit your particular requirements. As well as their professional skills, they will be chosen for the role as a person of integrity (able to keep confidential information, confidential) and will be expected to show total flexibility with regards to the often changing demands of the PA role.
What Are a PA’s Duties?
It would be nigh on impossible to list everything that a PA might be asked to accomplish and be involved in, simply because each role is so unique and specifically tailored to you. There may also be a split between business/work related tasks and family/household/personal related tasks. As a guide though, there are a number of ‘typical’ tasks that most PA’s would be expected to undertake and be experienced with:
Tasks in a Business/Office Setting (this could be an office at the employer’s home or an external business premises):
- Diary, Administration & Office Management : answering the phone/returning calls, taking messages, co-ordinating the diary/scheduling appointments, preparing reports, updating spreadsheets, managing budgets and bookkeeping, maintaining websites and managing/booking travel arrangements, booking venues & liaising with clients/guests for lunch/dinner meetings, minutes of meetings and preparing meeting documents
- Client Liaison/People Management: nurturing and maintaining positive relationships with clients, contacts and other staff on behalf of the boss. A skilled PA will be capable of emulating the style, philosophy and persona of the company/boss both as they work with the boss and in their absence
- Research/Larger Projects: examples of this could be running a conference/training workshop, booking venues & speakers, arranging catering, flowers, guest lists, working on charitable projects
- Personal Matters: collecting dry cleaning, post, gift purchases, booking tickets & other similar errands
Example of Tasks in a Personal Setting/Household (this could be just for the employer or the employer plus their family):
- Household Management: liaising & dealing with other employees within the household and visitors such as security, child carers, cleaners, gardeners, dog walkers, contractors and so on
- Scheduling Events:helping plan & book family celebrations & significant events
- Diary Management: managing and maintaining the family calendar with regards to appointments, holidays and travel
- General Errands & Driving: any number of tasks!
Each Personal Assistant role will be very different. It will be specifically customised to suit the employer’s requirements, thus ensuring the employer gains the maximum benefit from hiring a PA to help life run more smoothly.
In addition, an effective and trusted PA will optimise your ability to focus on your business objectives, allowing you to grow your business whilst they skilfully manage the everyday demands of your office and family. An effective PA will also help facilitate the amount of quality time you spend with your family and give you the opportunity to develop your own skills and hobbies which perhaps you never managed to find the time for.
For lots more sound advice and information regarding hiring a Personal Assistant (or any other Household Staff), please give the Eden Team a call on 0207 471 6000
We Look Forward to Talking To You