‘How Much Do You Know About …’
Welcome to the first in a blog ‘mini-series’ that will explore a variety of topics, in accessible, not-too-time-consuming, bit-sized chunks.
Designed to offer a quick look at everyday subjects and bring you up to date with facts, current thinking and ideas. We live in a constantly evolving world. Let’s not get left behind!
CAFFEINE & COFFEE
- We consume 95 million cups of coffee a day in the UK (up from 70 million a day in 2008) and coffee is now the most popular drink worldwide with around 2 billion cups drunk every day!
- The recommended daily dose of caffeine is around 400mg for a healthy adult (that’s approx. 4 cups) consuming a lot more than that and you risk interrupted sleep and it can of course be addictive
- Coffee is one of the most researched products in the world when it comes to our health
- We drink on average 2 litres a month of popular energy drinks – some contain from 80mg to as much as 300mg of caffeine, so make sure you check the label
The Coffee Break Down:
- There is 95mg of caffeine in an average cup of coffee (250ml)
- A cup of coffee has 3 times more caffeine than a cup of tea
- Lattes continue to be the favourite coffee of choice for the 45-54 age group followed by cappuccinos for the younger generation
- In the UK most of us head to the most prominent coffee chain Costa Coffee (2,121 outlets), followed by Starbucks (898 outlets) then Caffe Nero (650 outlets)
Good to Know: Body Benefits
- Improves your mood for up to 2 ½ hours
- Can help lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes and liver cancer
- Can help refuel your muscles after exercise
- Instantly affects your mind and body by increasing alertness and physical performance
- Helps boost memory
- Can be an aid to preventing hair loss
- Can stimulate fat-fighting defences
- According to a Spanish study, coffee has a greater effect with regards to activity levels on men than women (well that’s not fair!).
- One in six people in the UK think they are funnier and wittier when they are fuelled up on coffee, with 31 per cent thinking they are able to work harder
- ‘Sorry I’m Latte’ – apparently many people would rather be late for work than miss out on their morning coffee!
- Many adults admit that they wouldn’t trust someone else to make them a coffee in case they don’t get it exactly how they like it!
Enjoy your next one, which I hope will be made by you and just how you like it!