SPOTLIGHT ON A FAMILY PERSONAL ASSISTANT
There is no getting away from it – we are definitely busier than ever!
I am sure you know what I mean when you look at your diary and set about juggling your schedule in order to fit in work, business, family and friends.
One answer to organising and perhaps even streamlining a hectic lifestyle and workload is the family Personal Assistant (PA). A family PA is professionally adept and experienced in diary management and prioritising workloads, so could definitely make a huge difference!
Their overall objective is to ensure that your life (and that of your family) runs smoothly. As well as keeping your personal life/diary/schedule up to date, they will also make sure your ‘To Do’ lists gets done and your business targets and objectives remain on track.
You may be an active and hands-on business owner (either running your business from home or a larger operation externally) or you may have a busy household & family that needs plenty of hands-on organisation. Whatever your current situation, a family PA could be the solution to keeping everything on track!Busy people have complex diaries and schedules. There is every need to be well organised and on the ball in order to stay on top.
Definition of a Family Personal Assistant:
A family PA is someone who works directly with you/your family on a day to day basis, managing professional/business or personal tasks. They will be competent in a vast array of skills that will suit your particular requirements. A professional family PA will be a person of integrity (able to keep confidential information, confidential) and will be competent and flexible in dealing with the changing demands of the role.
What can you expect from a family PA?
One of the main objectives of hiring a family PA is to be able to delegate tasks and work with the PA to achieve your goals – be that for work, family or social. They will keep your diary up to date and well managed; they will ensure you don’t miss calls, meetings & events and they will make a positive contribution and have a direct impact on your business, personal and family life.
Duties of a Family PA
It would be virtually impossible to list everything that a family PA might do for you as each role is of course so unique.
There are however a number of tasks that most family PA’s will typically be involved with:
- Diary/Administration Management: answering the phone, taking messages, co-ordinating the diary/scheduling appointments, managing and maintaining the family calendar regarding appointments, holidays and travel.
- preparing reports, updating spreadsheets, managing budgets and bookkeeping, maintaining websites and managing/booking travel arrangements, liaising with clients/guests for lunch/dinner meetings, minutes of meetings and preparing meeting documents
- Arranging Travel and Entertainment: booking flights, hotels, transport, restaurants, theatre tickets and so on
- Client Liaison/People Management: nurturing and maintaining positive relationships with clients and people the family come into contact with
- Ad Hoc Projects: examples of this could be running a conference/training workshop, arranging an exhibition or charity event, booking venues & speakers, arranging catering, flowers, guest lists
- Personal Errands: collecting dry cleaning, dealing with post/parcels, gift purchases, booking tickets & driving/picking up
- Household Management: dealing with other staff within the household and visitors such as security, drivers/chauffeurs, child carers, cleaners, gardeners, dog walkers, contractors/decorators
- General Errands: a multitude of tasks!
Each family PA role is of course different from family to family and will be uniquely tailored to suit each family’s requirements. Whatever the main focus of the role and the jobs they undertake for you, it is evident that there can be huge benefits.
An effective and trusted family PA will optimise your family’s time either individually or together allowing you all to focus on your own projects and interests.
For lots more good advice and information regarding your first steps to hiring a Family Personal Assistant (or any other Household Staff), please call the Eden Team on 0207 4716000 or visit our website to see the full range of roles we recruit for: www.edenprivatesaff.com