The Role of a Family Personal Assistant (PA)
We are all, it seems, increasingly busy! Our days can be full of work, business, family and friends, so organising a hectic schedule is no mean feat!
Enter a family Personal Assistant who could revolutionise your diary, ensure your business targets and objectives remain on track, prioritise your workload, keep your clients, family & friends up to date and make sure your ‘To Do’ list gets done!
You may be an active and hands-on business owner (either running your business from home or a larger operation externally) or you may have a busy household & family that needs plenty of hands-on organisation. Whatever your current situation, a family PA could be just what is required to keep the day on track!
Busy people have complex diaries and schedules and the need to be well organised and on the ball in order to stay on top is essential.
So, what might a family PA actually do for you?
The main objective of hiring a PA is to be able to delegate to them and work with them to achieve your goals (be that for work or family/social). They will keep your diary up to date and well managed; they will ensure you don’t miss calls & meetings/events and basically will make a positive contribution and have a direct impact on your business, personal and family life.
Definition of a Family Personal Assistant:
A family PA is someone who works directly with you/your family on a day to day basis, managing professional/business or personal tasks. They will be competent in a vast array of skills that will suit your particular requirements. A professional PA will be a person of integrity (able to keep confidential information, confidential) and will be competent and flexible in dealing with the changing demands of the role.
Duties (of which there are many!)
It would be virtually impossible to list everything that a family PA might do for you as each role is of course so unique.
There are however a number of tasks that typically most PA’s will be involved with:
- Diary/Administration Management: answering the phone, taking messages, co-ordinating the diary/scheduling appointments, managing and maintaining the family calendar regarding appointments, holidays and travel.
- preparing reports, updating spreadsheets, managing budgets and bookkeeping, maintaining websites and managing/booking travel arrangements, liaising with clients/guests for lunch/dinner meetings, minutes of meetings and preparing meeting documents
- Arranging Travel and Entertainment: booking flights, hotels, transport, restaurants, theatre tickets and so on
- Client Liaison/People Management: nurturing and maintaining positive relationships with clients and people the family come into contact with
- Ad Hoc Projects: examples of this could be running a conference/training workshop, arranging an exhibition or charity event, booking venues & speakers, arranging catering, flowers, guest lists
- Personal Errands: collecting dry cleaning, post/parcels, gift purchases, booking tickets & occasional driving/picking up
- Household Management: dealing with other staff within the household and visitors such as security, drivers/chauffeur, child carers, cleaners, gardeners, dog walkers, contractors/decorators
- General Errands: a multitude of tasks!
Each family PA role will be very different from family to family and uniquely tailored to suit you and your family’s requirements. Whatever the main focus of the role and the jobs they undertake for you, it is evident that there can be huge benefits.
An effective and trusted PA will optimise your family’s time either individually or together allowing you all to focus on your own projects and interests.
For lots more good advice and information regarding your first steps to hiring a Family Personal Assistant (or any other Household Staff), please call the Eden Team on 0207 4716000.