The Veg Pledge 2021
1st– 30th November
There is still plenty of time to get involved!
The Veg Pledge is an Initiative set up by Cancer Research UK which asks you to “Take the Veg Pledge” and ditch meat for a whole month.
We have all been made increasingly aware of the many benefits to us that come from cutting meat from our diet. There is ample research that suggests following a diet with the emphasis on vegetables, fruit, whole grains and legumes can help lower our risk of cancer. Research also shows this type of diet helps you maintain a healthy weight and good digestive system, plus an additional positive benefit is the impact it will have on our planet!
As well as being a good reason to raise welcome and essential funds for life-saving research to beat cancer sooner, it is also Cancer Research UK’s aim to educate people on the benefits of following a more plant based, vegetarian diet during their November Veg Pledge. Overall it hopes to encourage people to take steps towards living a healthier lifestyle which can help to lower the risk of developing chronic illnesses later on in life.
It is important to remember though that simply cutting out meat and animal products doesn’t automatically mean a healthier diet and you are encouraged to do the following for a good, balanced and nutritional diet:
- Eat at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables every day
- Base your meals around potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates, choosing wholegrain versions wherever possible
- Include some dairy products or dairy alternatives (such as soya drinks and yoghurts) and choose the lower fat and lower sugar options
- Eat beans and other pulses and eggs for protein
- Choose unsaturated oils and spreads like rapeseed or olive oil
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated
- Cut down on foods high in fat, salt or sugar (such as fast food)
Go One Step Further…
And if you are really up for a challenge then why not sign up on the Cancer Research UK website and raise money for them.
They will send you all their great fundraising ideas, recipes and top tips that will help you through the month. Every two minutes, someone in the UK is diagnosed with cancer. By taking part in The Veg Pledge 2021, not only will you learn some delicious new recipes but you’ll also be helping fund their life-saving research.You can also get involved on social media by using the hashtag #TheVegPledge
Good luck with your veggie challenge – it could be life changing and the best part is – you win!