Thoughts for a New Year
So, here we are, the end of the year, 2020 and a whole new decade just around the corner.
Often a great many of us feel obliged, or put ourselves under pressure, to come up with a new formula and excellent plan for the new year ahead either for our business, career or personal life, aka New Year’s Resolutions!
Well, this year, why not try something a little different?
Instead of coming up with a long list of goals, achievements and expectations for next year, try focussing positively on a set of questions. These questions will encourage you to identify and affirm good things that are already in your life and will also make you think about celebrating ‘yourself’, as someone who has already achieved a lot and with a few small tweaks will do even better!
Here’s what I mean:
- Think about/write down as many (hopefully between 10-20) things as you can that you are grateful for in 2019. Seeing the past year in a positive light and being consciously grateful sets us up with the right attitude to move forward into the next unfolding chapter in our lives.
- In the same way, try and list (you can write them down or just think about) a number of things that you want to ‘leave behind’ in 2019. It’s not always easy to let go, but once you decide to, it is very powerful, alters your perspective and brings things into a more positive focus.
- Make sure you are proud of your achievements in 2019. Too often we move on at such a fast pace that we don’t stop to give ourselves credit! Well, now is the time and by doing this simple exercise you can make 2019 a year to be really proud of.
- Don’t be shy, ‘celebrate’ who you are! We all have some wonderful qualities that we should be proud of (being a good listener, good with children, a great cook, a kind neighbour, brilliant at …). By acknowledging and actually listing where your strengths lie, you can revitalise your energy and positivity.
- Also, take a positive look at ‘who you are’ to the people in your life. This list is so great as you really focus in on how many lives you actually touch – probably more than you think. Let me get you started: I AM A GREAT daughter, sister, wife, mother, aunt, niece, cousin, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law, godmother, friend, colleague, mentor, manager. Don’t you feel good already!
- Finally, next year, keep an eye on the small things too – every day can be you ‘doing your best’ to achieve certain outcomes. Everything you do is important and will contribute towards the bigger picture.
Good luck and may 2020 be positive, successful and happy.