A versatile solution for many households, a houseman ensures the general upkeep of a home. A houseman will ensure the cleaning and maintenance is kept up together and offers continuity and flexibility.
There is an additional benefit of security if you employ a full-time houseman to work in the house during the day. Some may work alone within a private household while others work with other staff, including housekeepers, house managers, butlers and chefs.
Many housemen come from a military background, such as Ghurkhas. This means housemen are reliable, highly trained and diverse in their skill set.
As a guide a houseman’s duties will depend on the home and needs of an employer but will generally include:
- Assisting with housekeeping and deep cleaning carpets and upholstery, polishing brass, mirrors, glass, light fixtures, and chandeliers.
- Waxing all floors or hard cleaning of floors. Cleaning and laying fireplaces, restocking wood, emptying bins.
- Changing light bulbs, fuses, checking boiler pressure, bleeding radiators, checking security and alarm systems and performing minor household repairs.
- Assisting with laundry and ironing, cooking, laying tables, caring for children and pets.
- Maintaining gardens, mowing, watering plants, cleaning windows, paths and steps.
- Raking gravel and leaves, jet spraying exterior walls, sills and outdoor furniture.
- Valeting cars, driving to meetings, shopping, running errands, airport and school runs.
- Assisting to serve at dinners, looking after swimming pools, saunas, gyms and hot tubs.