Select Page

Farming Couple

Couples who seek to work on a farm together may be referred as “Farming Couple”

A Farming Couple will undertake all duties relating to the management and farming of an agricultural holding on behalf of a client.

Often the owner/principal/client will be resident on the farm, but may not actually be involved in the day to day running of it.  Sometimes the owner is not from a farming or agricultural background, but has a keen interest in the land and is committed to seeing the farm function as a viable and profitable business. The land could also be for the use of the family/owner for country pursuits such as stalking and shooting or horse riding.

A Farming Couple will need to be extremely flexible and able to turn their hand to a huge variety of tasks including:

  • Tractor/agricultural machinery driving
  • Animal husbandry and care of livestock
  • Grooming
  • Lambing, calving
  • Farm maintenance work such as fencing and outbuilding repairs
  • Gamekeeping
  • Housekeeping
  • Babysitting

Duties will vary enormously from farm to farm and will depend largely on its’ size. Some roles may require the Couple to hold an agricultural qualification, however the knowledge gained in previous roles and through hands on experience can be just as important.

Useful skills and qualifications include:

City & Guilds Chainsaw qualifications up to Level 3

City & Guilds Livestock or Machinery qualifications

Royal College of Agriculture farming course

For additional advice and information please call and speak to a member of the Eden Household Team on 02074716000